Saturday, August 1, 2009

vortex/invisibility/navigation ideas convo

Adrian: okay well the idea is like you move around the city drifting instead of being ordered
the thing about the garbage patchis that it just driftsandEITHERit gets stuck in the vortexwhich is where most of those rubber duckies are, actuallyorit hits somethinga beacha beach that sticks out into the vortex
me: mmhm
Adrian: so land is either created or destroyedbasically
me: waitwhich is which
Adrian: i dunno!i haven't figured out a thesis or anythingbut i think the connection is definitely there
me: like, you could say land is created by trash being beached or that it's destroying the beach?
Adrian: okay soi don't know exactlybecause i still need to read a bitbutthe garbage patch starts and ends at the drifti have a lot more to say about the patch toobecause it exists even less than i thought it did
me: how so?
Adrian: wellbasically: its not really in the vortexesits in a space that connects these two larger cortexesmost of it is between a couple feet below water and 100 ft under waterANDit varies every yeardue to weatherbetween these certain latitudes
me: **** so its even more impossible to see or track
Adrian: over 1,000 milesin el nino years it gets even more ****** up
me: in what way
Adrian: well one year it could be at at 37 N. and the next it could be at 53which is 1,000 miles separationand then in el nino the currents go really crazyso it could get pushed in a completely different directionbasically it drifts like mad, sort of in circlesso basically
me: who's tracking it exactly?and how?
Adrian: some homies
me: ah
Adrian: i'll hook you up with this videocheck this out too:http://strangemaps.wordpress.com/2008/05/
me: this rules
Adrian: yeahbut check it outone of the only ways they can actually track surface currentsis with these huge trash spillsone of them was with 80,000 nike shoes
me: whattttt
****

Adrian: yeah
me: so they act as like buoys
Adrian: basically
me: actually helping scientists in a way
that's a whole new dimension
Adrian: exactlyANDsome beaches have left shoes and SOME have rightbecause of they way they float
me: no way.
Adrian: !!!
me: hahaahahahahhhh *******
Adrian: totally ******* seriouscheck out this video its awesomehttp://www.pbs.org/kcet/wiredscience/video/116-flotsam_found.html
me: i thought you were joking about the ducks**************
Adrian: no manthe ducks were revolutionaryso some of them end up in scotlandbut the majorityare in the vortex
me: tough break scotland
Adrian: 1,000 at auctionno joke
me: what?

Adrian: if you find one of the original ducks it's worth mad money you know whats funny i think the nike shoes float cuz they have air in themok but start thinking about this drift ****i should really talk to lizzie because it has tons to do with navigationbut yeahthe only way we can 'see' the garbage is sort of likewhen we stick our hand into the water and try to pull out whatever we canand no matter what it's just....randomtrashalso: wormholebecause once something goes into 'vortex'it might not come out for 50 years and on the other side of the world

No comments:

Post a Comment