Sunday, August 2, 2009

newer realism

So as I've been making these transparent collages on photoshop using internet ads (A post with a few of them is coming soon) I was reminded of the art movement in France in the '60s called Nouveau Realisme, a faction of which was artists making decollages using torn pieces of street advertisements.

(In the pieces I've made the opacity of the ads is all very low so they are all sort of visible and invisible/unreadable/transparent at the same time, which seems like an appropriate progression from the technique of Nouveau Realists like Jacques de la Villegle and Raymond Hains (above).) Anyway, I'll have more to say about my stuff when I put it up but this line of research reminded me of the artist Arman who was also in this group but made mostly sculptures and collections of objects. (He also did stuff like make "paintings" using paintbrushes like this version of Van Gogh's Starry Night.)

In response to Yves Klein's works centered on the concept of Le Vide, e.g.

...Arman filled a gallery with garbage, calling it Le Plein (basically, "The Full"):

From this, then, came a series called Poubelles which were large glass boxes with collections of junk (some "garbage" some not) in them. The decollages are more directly related to what I'm making now but the Poubelles seems like a perfect predecessor to something we could/should make, Adrian.

Anyway, that's where my head's at right now. Let me know what this stuff does for you guys.

P.S. Google "trash" and you get a map of your city with lots of destinations.

P.P.S. Thought I'd give this a shot; efforts thwarted though. How appropriate (click to enlarge):



PPPS#!&: Lizzie check out this crazy ish! EYE TRACKING. Relates to our computer installation/multi-feed video surveillance ideas right??

No comments:

Post a Comment